Masterplan Advice

At Masterplan Associates we can help you at every stage in the planning process.

  • When do I need planning permission?

    You need to get planning permission for all development unless it is exempt under the Planning Acts. Development includes:

    • new buildings
    • extensions of existing buildings
    • refurbishments of existing buildings
    • changes in use of existing buildings
  • Are pre application consultations advisable?

    Pre-application consultation has many benefits. Such consultations will generally improve the quality of a subsequent planning application and will ideally obviate the necessity for seeking additional information.

  • What is a Protected Structure?

    Protected Structures are buildings, features and structures that are protected because they are deemed to be of special interest under one or more of the following headings: Architectural, Cultural, Archaeological, Scientific, Artistic, Social, Historical, Technical. Each Local Authority maintains a Record of Protected Structures.

  • What is an Architectural Conservation Area?

    Architectural Conservation Area (ACA) aim to identify areas of special character and architectural interest and to preserve that special character. These are special areas of protection.

  • Can I use Masterplan Associates to make an observation on a planning application on my behalf?

    Yes, you can engage us to make a written submission on planning application within 5 weeks of the planning application being lodged to the local authority. Our town planners (are professional members of the Irish Planning Institute) will assess the planning application and make comments for example on the impact of the development on your property.

    Anyone who has made written submissions/observations and paid the necessary €20 fee must be informed of the decision by the local authority within 3 days of making the decision. If you made a submission/observation that has been acknowledged by the local authority, you have the right to appeal its planning decision to An Bord Pleanála. You also have the right to be informed of any other appeals that have been lodged to An Bord Pleanála and to receive a copy of the appeal.

  • What is a Commencement Notice?

    A commencement notice is used to notify the Building Control Authority that a person intends to carry out either works or a material change of use to which the Building Regulations apply.

    A Commencement Notice is required for the following:
    Any works for which Planning Permission is required which comprise the erection, material alteration, extension or material change of use of a building.
    Any works for which a Fire Safety Certificate is required.
    Any material alteration (excluding minor works) of a shop, office or industrial building for which a Fire Safety Certificate is not required.

  • What is a Fire Safety Certificate?

    A Fire Safety Certificate is a certificate issued by the Building Control Authority which states that the works or building to which the application relates will, if constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications submitted, comply with the requirements of Part B of the Second Schedule to the Building Regulations 1997.

  • What a Disability Access Cert?

    A Disability Access Certificate is required for the following
    For new buildings other than dwellings (but including apartment buildings) and certain works to which the Requirements of Part M of the Building Regulations apply which commence or take place on or after 1st January 2010.
    A Disability Access Certificate is an approval by the Building Control Authority that the proposed design of the building is in compliance with Part M of the Building Control Regulations.

  • I am selling my property, what maps do I need to provide to my solicitor for the sale?

    The vendor needs to provide the purchaser with a PRA approved map correctly showing the property you are selling or transferring. Masterplan Associates have an Ordnance Survey of Ireland licence to produce PRA approved maps for single site and multi units and multi storey developments.